TRAIN IN YOUR OWN OFFICE
Who: Donor and NGO staff, university students of non-profit programs—and for people seeking a career change into the non-profit world.
|7 day Hands-on Field Course in your Location|
Experience firsthand the real-life needs of your community members and the project challenges faced by an implementing non-profit. We will be meeting with members of the community three times. Depending on your context we may meet with them at their location—or you may prefer to invite a focus group to the workshop in your offices.
|Create a World Class Project|
Design and Fund a Non-Profit Project. This hands-on field course has been designed specially for staff of non-profit and donor organizations, university students in non-profit programs, and people considering a career change into non-profit world. The course is designed to be used as a vehicle for you to develop a real project, in real time during this training program.
You will combine theory with practice by working in the field to design and launch your project and you will develop a range of skill sets: needs assessments, leading capacity building workshops, and discovering evidence-based activities. We will be meeting with members of your community three times. Depending on your context we may meet with them at their location—or you may prefer to invite a focus group to the workshop in your offices.
|Project Launch and Management|
Then, you will embed impact into your project design with a set of powerful management tools: logframe, budget, and a compelling fact sheet. They will communicate to donors & stakeholders exactly what you are going to accomplish and can be used for effective management of the project once funded.
|The Service Learning Component|
You will be designing a real project for a community of people you hope to work with. Depending upon the specialization of your non-profit community could be representative of these types of examples: animal welfare, youth empowerment, education, community development, hunger, urban agriculture, immigration, the environment—or with a food bank or homeless shelter.
|What you will do|
We will work with your community members in assessing need and developing a project strategy. Your project design will incorporate solution oriented, evidence-based best practices, and include delivering a capacity building community workshop to launch the project. You will receive all of the background materials, activities, handouts and exercises on an easy to take home memory stick.
1. Overview of community based development
2. Conduct a Participatory Needs Assessment with your community members. Please note: this may not be necessary for some types of nonprofit organizations and we will work with you to modify this segment to best fit your organization’s needs.
3. Project Design Phase I: Design a project based upon community identified need and solution oriented, evidence based best practices
4. Feedback: Revisit the community and present the concept to gain community input
5. Project Design Phase II: Design detailed activities for the project
6. Develop a set of powerful management tools: logframe, budget, and a compelling fact sheet
7. Knowledge Transfer: Write a lesson plan for a capacity building workshop and develop workshop materials
8. Launch: Deliver to community members the first capacity building workshop tailored to the thrust of your project design
9. Develop a project presentation booklet for presentation to donors and colleagues
10. Review the week’s work and assess the impact and sustainability of the project
The workshop is open to all groups with an interest in the non-profit world. You do not need to have field experience, just a willingness to participate, learn, and have a lot of fun. This is an opportunity to get out of your office and into the field. This training experience is for self contained groups of 12 to 20 people. If you are an individual—we want to work with you too! Please look into our Distance Learning Programs.
- Nonprofit staff wishing to sharpen their nonprofit skills
- Project managers
- Students in nonprofit programs
- Executive Director
- Person looking for charity jobs or nonprofit jobs
- Project managers
- University professor
- Government agency staff member
- Individual considering a career change into the nonprofit world
|Time Frame and Venue|
Duration of the workshop will be 7 days. The training will alternate between your offices—and meetings on location with your community members.
Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in learning more about how my Field Courses can increase your program impact.